Learn More

The purpose of this notice is to describe the rights granted by federal law to students with disabilities (the purpose of this notice is to advise you of those rights). The intent of the law is to keep you fully informed concerning decisions about your child and to inform you of your rights and procedural safeguards.

The following is a summary of rights granted to parents and/or students under section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973.

An eligible student under Section is a student who:

  • has a physical or mental impairment that substantially limits one or more major life activities;
  • has a record of such an impairment; or
  • is regarded as having such impairment which substantially limits one or more major life activities such as learning, caring for one’s self, performing manual tasks, walking, seeing, hearing, speaking, breathing and working.
  • Have the school district advise you of your rights under federal law.
  • Have your child take part in, and receive benefits from public education programs without discrimination because of his or her disability.
  • Receive written notice of the district’s intent with respect to identification, evaluation, and/or accommodations for your child.
  • Participate in the 504 Team meeting where 504 eligibility and accommodations for your child will be determined.
  • Have your child receive a free appropriate public education.
  • Have your child receive services and be educated in facilities which are comparable to those provided to nonhandicapped students.
  • Have your child receive accommodations or the use of supplementary services if he or she is found eligible under Section 504.
  • Review all relevant educational records regarding your child’s identification, evaluation and placement.
  • Have evaluation, educational, and placement decision made based on a variety of information sources, and by a person who knew the student and who is knowledgeable about the evaluation data and placement options.
  • Have periodic reviews of the 504 plan and re-evaluation before any significant change in education accommodations.
  • Request mediation or an impartial due process hearing related to decision or actions regarding your child’s identification, evaluation, education program or placement.

(You and your child may take part in the hearing and be represent by counsel. Hearing requests must by made to your local district superintendent.)

  • Use the local complaint procedure to file a grievance.
  • Receive a free and appropriate public education which includes the right to be educated with students without disabilities to the maximum extent appropriate.
  • Have an equal opportunity to participate in nonacademic and extracurricular activities offered by the school for which he or she is otherwise qualified.
  • Have privacy and confidentiality of all personal records.

Contact the Lindsay Unified School District 504 Coordinator for information, assistance, and due process appeals.